School Logo Homepage Logo

'Let your light shine' (Matthew 5:16)

30 hours childcare

30 Hours Funding 

From January 2021, Thurnham Glasson C of E Primary will provide 30 hours of free childcare to eligible families. This is a government funded scheme designed to benefit working families. 


We have attached the links to the relevant websites for you to read and apply for the funding. Please note that in order to apply you must follow the link to create a childcare service account. Once you have made your application online and had your eligibility confirmed your code will be in your childcare service account under ‘secure messages’. 


Are you eligible for 30 hours free childcare?   

You may be able to get 30 hours free childcare if: 


  • you live in England 
  • your child is 3 to 4 years old 


The childcare: 


  • must be with an approved childcare provider 


  • stops when your child starts in reception class (or reaches compulsory school age, if later) 


You may have to pay for extra costs like school funds, meals, nappies or trips. 


If you’ve already registered, you can sign in to your childcare account. 


You can apply online for a childcare account to get a code for 30 hours to give to your provider. 


How you can use 30 hours free childcare 

You can get 30 hours of free childcare per week for 38 weeks of the year (during school term time). 


You may be able to get free childcare for 52 weeks if you use fewer than 30 hours per week. Check with your childcare provider to find out if this is something they offer. 



Your eligibility depends on: 


  • if you are working 
  • your income (and your partner’s income, if you have one) 
  • your child’s age and circumstances 
  • your immigration status 


You can get 30 hours free childcare at the same time as claiming Universal Credit, tax credits, childcare vouchers or Tax-Free Childcare. 


If you are working 

You can usually get 30 hours free childcare if you (and your partner, if you have one) are: 


  • in work 
  • on sick leave or annual leave 
  • on shared parental, maternity, paternity or adoption leave 


If you’re on adoption leave for a child aged 3 to 4 years old, you must return to work within 31 days of the date you first apply for 30 hours free childcare for that child. 


If your working pattern has changed because of coronavirus (COVID-19) 

You may still be eligible for Tax-Free Childcare if you’re temporarily working less and either: 

  • your employer is paying part of your wages through the Job Support Scheme, which replaced the Job Retention Scheme (‘furlough’) 
  • you’re claiming a Self Employment Income Support Scheme grant 


This guidance may shortly be updated following the announcement of new national restrictions in England from 5 November. 


If you are not currently working 

You may still be eligible if your partner is working, and you get Incapacity Benefit, Severe Disablement Allowance, Carer’s Allowance or contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance. 


You can apply if you’re starting or re-starting work within the next 31 days. 


Your income 

You’ll need to expect to earn a certain amount over the next 3 months. This is at least the National Minimum Wage or Living Wage for 16 hours a week on average. 


For example, over the next 3 months you expect to earn at least £1,813.76 – the National Living Wage for people over 25. 


If you have a partner, they’ll need to expect to earn at least this much too. 


If you or your partner are temporarily earning less than this amount because of coronavirus, you may still be eligible. You must be being paid some of your wages through the Job Support Scheme or have claimed a Self Employment Income Support Scheme grant to qualify. 


If you’re self-employed and do not expect to make enough profit in the next 3 months, you can use an average of how much you expect to make over the current tax year. 


This earnings limit does not apply if you’re self-employed and started your business less than 12 months ago. 


If you or your partner have an expected ‘adjusted net income’ over £100,000 in the current tax year you will not be eligible. This includes any bonuses you expect to get. 


You or your partner can earn up to £150,000 in the current tax year and still be eligible if you’re a critical worker and have worked extra hours because of coronavirus. 


Your adjusted net income is your total taxable income before any personal allowances and minus things like Gift Aid. 


Your child 

You will not be eligible if your child does not usually live with you. 


If you foster your child, you cannot use the online application to get 30 hours free childcare.  

Speak to your social worker and your local authority if you want to apply. 


Your immigration status 

You will not be eligible if you’re from outside the EEA and your UK residence card says you cannot access public funds.  


Your partner can apply instead if they’re from: 


  • the UK or EEA 
  • outside the EEA and their UK residence card says they can access public funds 


When to apply 

You can apply from when your child is 2 years and 36 weeks old. 


When your child turns 3 When they can get 30 hours from Recommended time to apply
1 September to 31 December  Term starting on or after 1 January  15 October to 30 November


1 January to 31 March 


Term starting on or after 1 April  15 January to 28 February 
1 April to 31 August  Term starting on or after 1 September 15 June to 31 July 

You can apply outside of these recommended dates but you might not receive your code in time. You must have a valid code by the end of the month before a new term starts. 


Check with your childcare provider to find out the exact date your 30 hours free childcare starts. 


You have to reconfirm your eligibility every 3 months. If you apply more than 3 months before the term starts, you’ll have to reconfirm your eligibility in your account in order to keep your code valid. 



Apply online for 30 hours free childcare.  



If you are applying for 30 hours and someone else already claims Tax-Free Childcare for that child, your application will be unsuccessful. 


If you have a partner 

You must include your partner in your application if you are: 


married or in a civil partnership and live together 

not married or in a civil partnership, but living together as though you are 

Their employment and income will not affect your eligibility if they: 


are or will be absent from your household for more than 6 months 

are a prisoner 

You and your partner cannot both have accounts for the same child. 


If you are separated 

You and your ex-partner need to decide who should apply if you are jointly responsible for your child. 


If you cannot decide, both of you must apply separately and HMRC will decide who gets a childcare account. 


After you’ve applied 

Once your application has been approved, you’ll get a code for 30 hours free childcare to give to your childcare provider. 


If you require any further information or support please call Mrs Aveyard or Mrs Duncan on 01524 751425 alternatively you can contact via email at:  


bursar@ (Mrs Aveyard)


[email protected] (Mrs Duncan)


Visit the Government's webpage childcare choices to see further information on the above and to make an application.